At the 31st General Meeting (November 2016 in Paris, France), the International Coral Reef Initiative declared 2018 as the third International Year of the Reef.
What is International Year of the Reef (IYOR)?
IYOR is a global effort to increase awareness and understanding on the values and threats to coral reefs and to support related conservation, research and management efforts. During the last IYOR in 2008, more than 630 events were organized in over 65 countries and territories around the world!
What is the focus of #IYOR2018?
The ICRI is encouraging all members and partners to:
- strengthen awareness globally about the value of, and threats to, coral reefs and associated ecosystems;
- promote partnerships between governments, the private sector, academia and civil society on the management of coral reefs;
- identify and implement effective management strategies for conservation, increased resiliency and sustainable use of these ecosystems and promoting best practices; and
- share information on best practices in relation to sustainable coral reef management.
What can I do to support #IYOR2018?
- Keep an eye on the AIC Facebook page. We’ll be posting events throughout the US and updates on ways to get involved.
- Follow @IYOR2018 on Facebook or twitter to stay up to date on International Efforts
- Reach out to your favorite Coral Reef organization and see what they have planned.
- Or host an event to raise awareness among your friends. Some ideas to get you started: